2 Henry St
Lytham, Lytham Saint Annes FY8 5LE
Lancashire and indeed Lytham and St Annes had a formidable part to play in WW1, The Lytham Territorials were one of the 1st battalions to go to war, and took part in the Battle of Festubert in France. They left from the Old Drill Hall on Henry Street and unfortunately lost 14 soldiers at that battle.
During 1915-16 the area was used as a training centre for newly formed battalions and thousands of soldiers were billeted in the area.
A large military hospital opened at the Clifton Park Racecourse site, Squires Gate, and there were Voluntary Aid Detachment hospitals at “Chaseside”, St.Annes and “Starr Hills”, Ansdell. There was also much fundraising for various wartime good causes.
There were two large munitions factories at Squires Gate and the East End of Lytham. In addition there were smaller factories set up in workshops and garages. Towards the end of the war a Flying Boat Factory opened at the East End of Lytham.
This information was taken from a fantastic website http://www.amounderness.co.uk/the_first_world_war_1914-18.html
Find out more about local history in this exhibition.
Although all exhibitions are free, Donations are more than welcome in keeping this local resource afloat.